Wednesday 13 January 2010

The Moon Is Low - Art Tatum

If I had to pick one pianist to listen to exclusively, it would have to be Art Tatum. The phrasing, the rhythms, the fast lines down the piano, the amazing use of chord movements, all contribute to why I would call this track, The Moon Is Low, my favourite piano piece.

You can find the version I refer to on the album The Art Tatum Solo Masterpieces, Vol. 5. Unfortunately, I cannot think of an accurate way to describe this song, but I can tell you that it is of the sub-genre of jazz called stride. Stride is, basically, the right hand of the piano playing a melody, while the left plays 'striding' basslines and chords. Sounds simple, no? Correct, no. When listening to Art Tatum, stride is anything but simple. As I listen to him now, I hear the left hand moving in a fast, steady rhythm, while always changing the chord it's based on. Even on its own, the left hand of stride would be enough for me.

But, coupled with the ever more complex right hand, it produces an effect, well, twice as good. The melody is played once, embellished, played again, embellished, up to the point where the main tune is barely distinguishable. And all this while being practically blind for his whole life.

Thanks for reading, please send suggestions and other comments to jazzphilosophybiscuits@googlemail.com and feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment