Sunday 16 May 2010

Neil Cowley - Radio Silence

Having recently acquired a 32gb iPod Touch, I decided to make use of its iTunes Store feature, where I purchased Neil Cowley's new album, Radio Silence. I was introduced to Neil Cowley's music a year or so ago, and I haven't stopped listening to his trio. If I had to categorise his style, I'd call it something vague, like contemporary jazz, but he really does have a style all of his own. There are fast, complex piano lines and phrases, played by Cowley, all backed up by double bass and drums.

His other two albums that I own, Displaced and Loud Louder Stop, are both great, and those plus Radio Silence really sum up what is so special about Neil Cowley Trio. His fast, methodical and intelligent style are unique. The chord sequences, the phrasing, the piano lines, they are all unexpected. And yet they are still catchy. Perhaps it is a love or hate style, but I thoroughly recommend listening to at least some of his stuff.

Thanks for reading, please send any suggestions for future blog topics to jazzphilosophybiscuits@gmail.com, and any comments below.

~Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.~

No comments:

Post a Comment